I think I have said it before, but there is something so special about BBQ in America and to me, this is the best (& easiest) recipe out there for Pulled Pork BBQ! Introducing, the slow cooker! I never thought I would use one – back home I hadn’t even really seen one, but after meeting Allen’s family and hanging out in VA for a while I noticed, every home had one & how useful they could be for everything! From cooking dinner while you’re at work to keeping sauces warm at parties, all sizes have their uses!
I LOVE mine & I LOVE Pulled Pork.
BBQ Pulled Pork
Ingredients: (for the rub)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- salt & pepper
- 3-4 lb boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tsp oil/butter
- 0.5 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Combine all the ‘for the rub’ ingredients in a small bowl
- rub the mixture all over the pork
- Heat the oil in a pan and sear the pork until browned on all sides & then transfer it to a plate while you make the sauce.
- Whisk 0.5 cup of water into the pork pan drippings and then pour into the slow cooker.
- Add the vinegar, tomato paste & sugar plus 2 cups of water to the slow cooker
- Add the pork
- Cover (do not lock) – cook on LOW for 8 hours. (The pork should fall apart when removing!)
- Remove the pork and transfer it to a cutting board
- Pour slow cooker liquid into a saucepan and let it simmer over a medium heat until it begins to reduce to about 0.75 of its original amount.
- Pull apart the pork with two forks or ‘claws’ if you have them!
- Put the pulled pork back into the slow cooker and pour two – three cups of liquid over the shredded pork and mix.
- MAKE YOUR SANDWICHES! We love to serve on toasted potato buns with Alabama white sauce, Sweet Baby Rays and some classic coleslaw! 🙂 (recipe for coleslaw here: http://www.ivgreenhouse.com/classic-coleslaw/ & Alabama white sauce is coming soon!!)