Introducing The Lady Julep…
We got our first puppy on May 3rd 2015.
We named her Julep as it was Kentucky Derby Weekend & Allen’s Favorite drink is Bourbon.
We had an event the day before and it became apparent that the traditional Mint Julep (Mint, simple syrup and a heavy pour of bourbon over crushed ice) was only to some people’s liking – to others it was a little strong. So we started coming up with ideas for a lighter version.. enter The Lady Julep!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes one drink)
- Demerara brown sugar cube
- Splash of Soda
- 6 Mint Leaves (+ Sprig for garnish)
- One Shot Old Forrester Bourbon
- One Shot Sweet/Sour Lemon Mix
- One Shot water
- One Egg White
- Place One sugar cube in a rocks glass and add a splash of soda, then muddle.
- We add soda water instead of tap as it makes it easier to dissolve/muddle the sugar cube.
- Add 6 mint leaves and bruise with the muddler.
- Add one shot of bourbon, one shot of lemon mix, one shot of water & one whole egg white.
- Pour mixture into martini shaker and fill shaker to the top with ice.
- Shake Vigorously!! (some bartenders will tell you you should never shake brown liquor, but we won’t tell!)
- Fill a rocks glass with ice and add a sprig of mint.
- Strain shaker over ice into rocks glass and enjoy!
Note – You can also serve straight up in a martini or coupe glass if preferred!