Some people call this Pumpkin butter, but we really think its more of a pumpkin pie filling thats acceptable to spread on EVERYTHING from toast to fancy desserts! October is Pumpkin Spiced month – well it is here in the US for sure and we whole heartedly support it! Our coffee is pumpkin, our spread is pumpkin and even our cocktails have a pumpkin spice element almost all of the time now! We picked up so many beautiful varieties of pumpkin this year at Harvest Moon, check some of them out below!
One thing about this spread/butter is that it could be made very quickly & easily with the help of canned pumpkin … but I was not brought up with pumpkin cans in the UK, so it’s fresh pumpkin puree all the way for me (but feel free to ignore the puree’ing part if you’re using the cans!)
- 30oz. (425g) of pumpkin puree (Instructions to puree your own below - or buy two cans!)
- 1/2 cup apple juice (preferably fresh!)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar!)
- 2.5 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 1.5 tsp nutmeg
- Cut your pumpkin into thick slices (just like pictured) and place on a baking sheet skin side down and roast at 400 F for 45 minutes (check and if they are not tender yet, cook for a further 10-15 mins)
- Peel the skin off the flesh of the pumpkin (you can use a knife to help if needed)
- Chop or break into smaller pieces and put into your food processor (I did mine in three amounts)
- Let them blend until smooth and pour into a jar to keep refrigerated for a week or so (If it lasts that long!)
- Put the puree and the rest of the ingredients into a saucepan on low/medium heat and let it simmer (bubble) for approximately 15-20 minutes - STIR FREQUENTLY because if it burns to the pan it changes the whole taste of your spread and is not as great as it could be!
- Once it has simmered for 20 minutes - pour it into a glass container and let it cool, once cooled you can refrigerate it or put it straight onto whatever you're eating and ENJOY!