So, I had the opportunity to work with a lovely family when I first moved to New York & their Nani G is one of the best cooks I know, she cooks beautiful Indian food mainly (hopefully some of those recipes coming soon!) and also has some other recipes up her sleeves like this one!! She was the one who introduced this Kale Salad to me and I have to say – before this salad I was not a huge Kale fan, I was a bit late to the Kale Party! This salad turned my opinion around, I’m not sure whether it was the atmosphere on the day I tried it or the fond memories of every time we had it together but I love it & so does everyone I make it for now.
- 1 bunch of crunchy kale (Approx. 6 stalks)
- olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of a frying pan)
- 2 oz. pine nuts
- 1 oz. raisins
- 1 oz. craisins
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- Half a lemon
- 0.5 cup Parmesan (finely grated)
- Rip or chop Kale leaves off the stalks into just larger than bite size pieces & place in a large bowl
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan
- Add in pine nuts, craisins, raisins, garlic powder, salt & pepper
- Stir with a spatula until the pine nuts start to look toasted & the raisins and craisins start to puff up slightly.
- Pour the contents of pan (Inc. oil) over the kale leaves in the large bowl and toss to coat all leaves with mixture.
- Squeeze half a lemon with your hand over the top and add the parmesan
- Toss the salad so everything is thoroughly mixed together. (I add a little more garlic at this point too after tasting!)
- Serve with a twist of lemon & enjoy it best warm! (It tastes good chilled too!)