So, recently We have been craving ice cream A LOT! – We found a new make and flavor that we just couldn’t get enough of and ironically we were only able to find it once. (It was Talenti’s Banana Chocolate Chip if you’re interested!) However, it opened us up to exploring all the ice cream possibilities just in time for summer! – Introducing the Kitchen Aid Ice Cream maker attachment! – Our new obsession!!! The thought of making all the ice cream we want is such a good one! We can’t wait to further our experimentation! Its hard to contain our excitement into this post!! Please enjoy our first recipe variation for Bourbon vanilla Ice Cream. (Even if Bourbon is not your favorite beverage this is truly delicious!)
This post will now lead to our newest feature for summer – Ice Cream Sundae’s (get it? – ha-ha – oh dear!)
Bourbon Vanilla Ice Cream.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook Time: 15 mins.
Chill time: 30 mins
In the Ice cream maker: 22-25 mins
In the freezer: 3-4 hours
- Kitchenaid (or other make) Ice Cream maker attachment
Ingredients: Will make approx. 2 quarts of Ice cream
- For the thickening add 2.5 tbsp. of cornstarch to 4 tbsp. of whole milk
- 6 tbsps cream cheese
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 2.5 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 vanilla beans split lengthwise
- 0.5 cup bourbon
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch & milk and set aside for now
- In a larger bowl place the cream cheese & salt and mix with a spoon until soft.
- Place all other ingredients except bourbon (milk, cream, sugar, syrup & vanilla beans) into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Bring it to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and mix in the cornstarch thickening mixture.
- Place the pan back on the heat and allow it to boil for a further 2 minutes (it should thicken slightly).
- Remove the pan from the heat and take out the vanilla beans – scrape the vanilla bean puree out of each bean (some will have already come out whilst boiling), add it into the mixture in the pan and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a Pyrex jug for ease of the next part.
- Pour a ¼ of the mixture into the cream cheese bowl and whisk until smooth, keep adding a little at a time until the mixture is smooth and thoroughly mixed together.
- Add the Bourbon!! & Stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a quart sized container or any container that is temperature safe.
- Place the container into a large bowl of ice water for 30 minutes (after the first 10 minutes you can place it into the fridge for faster cooling.
- Freeze the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions – of using the kitchen aid attachment let it stir (marker 1) for approximately 22-25 mins to create the perfect consistency! (tip – have the ice cream maker stirring before adding the mixture)
- Pour it from the maker into a freezer safe container & freeze for 3-4 hours or as long as you like!
- ENJOY AT LEISURE!