So, Understandably, not everyone knows about Romertopf (so We’ve added a handy link lower down where you can read about the benefits of clay oven cooking!). However, in our (Naomi’s) house growing up it was a staple dish! My mother was the only one who knew how to make it for many years & we LOVED it and always asked for it. It’s a super healthy dish that’s also nice and light. To me, it seems that it can transform between a Winter & summer dish, its equally warming for a Winter dish but light for a summer dish to be eaten outside on the patio! So it’s up to you where it falls for you seasonally but We urge you to invest in a Clay oven & try it out now!
Prep time – 15 mins
Cook time – 1h-30 mins
- Romertopf (clay oven) –find out about it here: http://www.romertopfonline.com
- You can purchase one here: https://jet.com/search?term=romertopf
- 4 x chicken thighs
- 8 x Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 3 x Tomatoes
- 0.5 Red Pepper 0.5 yellow pepper 0.5 orange pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 x garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Pint (2 cups) of Chicken stock
- 1 cup of wine
- Salt, Pepper, fresh thyme & fresh rosemary.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C)
- Prepare the chicken thighs – trim off any excess fat.
- Sear the thighs in butter over a high heat for one minute on each side – just to brown off the edges & crisp the skin slightly.
- Place the thighs in the bottom of your romertopf or clay oven.
- Arrange all veg on top of the chicken
- Pour over stock, wine & lemon juice
- Add the fresh herbs and lots of salt & pepper. (however much you desire!)
- Place in the center of the oven for 1h & 30mins
- Remove from the oven carefully (with oven mitts!) let it sit for 5-10 mins
We serve ours with rice to make it a heartier meal – but if you’re watching what you eat – just on its own is perfect!
Tip – If cooking for two people – still put all 4 thighs in the romertopf & then save all leftovers and make soup the next day by pulling the chicken off the bones and adding back into the stock – it makes SUCH a delicious chicken & veg soup!