It’s Ice Cream Sundae & we are a tiny bit mint obsessed this weekend! Since the race yesterday, we have just been experimenting with all things mint! This Ice cream is a beautiful child of our experiments! It tastes like a frozen mint hot chocolate! With the subtlety of the chocolate in the mix & the sweet mint flavor – it just works! We encourage you mint choice chip lovers out there to try and make this one yourself!
Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
- For the thickening add 1.25 tbsp. of cornstarch to 2 tbsp. of whole milk
- 1.75 cups Whole Milk
- 1.25 cups of heavy cream
- 0.5 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 0.25 cup filled with mint simple syrup (make ahead – recipe below)
- 2 tsp grated chocolate & 4 tbsp. of peeled/chopped chocolate for adding in after chilling
- 2 tbsp. cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- 25 tsp salt
- mint leaves (approx. 10) – chopped up finely
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch & milk and set aside for now
- In a larger bowl place the cream cheese, greek yogurt & salt and mix with a spoon until soft.
- Place all other ingredients except bourbon (milk, cream, sugar, syrup & vanilla bean) into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Bring it to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and mix in the cornstarch thickening mixture.
- Place the pan back on the heat and allow it to boil for a further 2 minutes (it should thicken slightly).
- Remove the pan from the heat and take out the vanilla beans – scrape the vanilla bean puree out of each bean (some will have already come out whilst boiling), add it into the mixture in the pan and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a Pyrex jug for ease of the next part.
- Pour a ¼ of the mixture into the cream cheese bowl and whisk until smooth, keep adding a little at a time until the mixture is smooth and thoroughly mixed together.
- Add the Mint simple syrup & 2 tsp of shaved chocolate!! & Stir until combined – color will change slightly.
- Pour the mixture into a quart sized container or any container that is temperature safe.
- Place the container into a large bowl of ice water and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- When you take your chilled mixture out of the freezer – add in your chopped up mint leaves & chocolate chips/shaved chocolate & mix before putting in your ice cream maker.
- Freeze the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions – if using the kitchen aid attachment let it stir (marker 1) for approximately 15-18 mins to create the perfect consistency! (tip – have the ice cream maker stirring before adding the mixture)
- Pour it from the maker into a freezer safe container & freeze for 3-4 hours or as long as you like!
- ENJOY AT LEISURE!