Who LOVES Mushrooms? 🙋 Me, me, me! I DO!
Someone once said to me, “I don’t think mushrooms taste like anything”… I think thats the most stunned I had been at the time. 😳. Mushrooms are EVERYTHING. Or to me they are. I feel like we grew up on mushrooms! Garlic mushrooms were a staple at every roast dinner. Give me a creamy mushroom pasta or mushroom pizza or anything really – I will probably add more mushrooms to it if thats on offer! I think you may all think I am officially crazy now but I could not love mushrooms more! So…
Enter the Marinated & Grilled Portobello Burger 😍
Seriously such a fun alternative to a beef burger on days you’re feeling like something just a little different! The mushrooms are marinated in a mix of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon, dijon, garlic, maple syrup & thyme. I could pretty much put this marinade on a whole bunch of different things that’s for sure! Oh and the friesssss! Oh my goodness, sweet potato fries are just so great! It took me a while to get into the sweet potato fry trend…mainly because I love my sweet potatoes whole and served with a load of toppings 😍. However, I am ALL IN on cutting these beauties into matchsticks and baking them to seasoned crispy perfection!
This is a pretty awesome vegetarian/vegan meal and also a perfect dish if you participate in the meatless monday challenge! We just LOVE that grilling season is truly here and we expect to be grilling up a lot more meats and veggies very very soon! So Stay tuned for some more awesome grilling goodness! 💚
- 4 Portobello Mushroom Caps (Large)
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp. dijon
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup (optional for a sweeter finish!)
- 1 tbsp. dried or fresh thyme
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3-4 sweet potatoes (dependent on size) - We LOVE them so 4 it is!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- pinch salt, pepper and a fresh thyme sprig stripped of leaves
- Mix the marinade for your mushroom caps and set aside (vinegar, oil, juice, dijon, syrup (if using), garlic, thyme)
- Wash your mushrooms and de-stem.
- Place all 4 into a large ziploc bag or dish ready to marinade
- Pour over your marinade and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Whilst your mushrooms are marinating make your sweet potato fries.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F
- Peel and cut your sweet potato fries into equal lengths - about 1/2 an inch thick by 2 inches long.
- Toss with olive oil, thyme, salt & pepper until evenly coated
- Spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet - making sure not to overcrowd the sheet otherwise they will steam and not crisp!
- Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, flip and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Then turn the oven off and allow them to sit inside while you prepare the rest of your meal - 15-30 minutes.
- Remove the Mushroom caps from the marinade and heat your grill up on high.
- When grill is ready, grill your mushrooms (face down) for 3 minutes, flip and grill for a further 3 minutes.
- Place each mushroom cap on a lettuce wrap or in a burger bun with your choice of accompaniments, lettuce, tomato, red onion, sauces etc.
- Serve with a side of Sweet Potato Fries and DIG IN!