It’s Sunday!! So we have a brand new AMAZING Ice cream recipe for you! This one has to be my favorite so far (even though I definitely say that about each new experiment!!) it really is delicious. The addition of the lime zest & greek yogurt in this recipe creates such a great texture and taste! Its an ice cream I could eat all summer long & we will definitely be making more than 1 quart of this Gin, Tonic & Lime Ice Cream!
Gin & Tonic Ice Cream (with lime!)
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook Time: 15 mins.
Chill time: 30 mins
In the Ice cream maker: 22-25 mins
In the freezer: 3-4 hours
- Kitchenaid (or other make) Ice Cream maker attachment
Ingredients: Will make 1 quart of Ice cream
- For the thickening add 1.25 tbsp. of cornstarch to 2 tbsp. of whole milk
- 1.75 cups Whole Milk
- 1.25 cups of heavy cream
- 0.5 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 2 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 0.25 cup filled with 0.75 Gin & 0.25 tonic (let it sit while you make the custard part of the ice cream!)
- lime (2 tbsp zest) & half a lime juiced.
- 2 tbsps cream cheese
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt
- 0.25 tsp salt
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch & milk and set aside for now
- In a larger bowl place the cream cheese, greek yogurt & salt and mix with a spoon until soft.
- Place all other ingredients except gin, tonic & lime (milk, cream, sugar, syrup & vanilla beans) into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Bring it to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and mix in the cornstarch thickening mixture.
- Place the pan back on the heat and allow it to boil for a further 2 minutes (it should thicken slightly).
- Remove the pan from the heat and take out the vanilla beans – scrape the vanilla bean puree out of each bean (some will have already come out whilst boiling), add it into the mixture in the pan and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a Pyrex jug for ease of the next part.
- Pour a ¼ of the mixture into the cream cheese bowl and whisk until smooth, keep adding a little at a time until the mixture is smooth and thoroughly mixed together.
- Add the gin & tonic, followed by the lime juice & zest!! & Stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a quart sized container or any container that is temperature safe.
- Place the container into a large bowl of ice water for 30 minutes (after the first 10 minutes you can place it into the fridge for faster cooling.
- Freeze the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions – if using the kitchen aid attachment let it stir (marker 1) for approximately 20 mins to create the perfect consistency! (tip – have the ice cream maker stirring before adding the mixture)
- Pour it from the maker into a freezer safe container & freeze for 3-4 hours or as long as you like!
- ENJOY AT LEISURE!