I get the pleasure of cooking lunch for the people I work with almost every day & this is a repeat request in all seasons! This corn soup can be so refreshing in the summer months & super warming in the colder months! Its color also makes me happy – sunshine yellow! The herbs really add something fresh to the soup that makes it entirely different to other corn soups out there! Its also a much healthier option than the traditional corn chowder (not that that’s not also awesome!) Let me know what you think!
Fresh Corn Soup with Basil & Thyme
Prep time: 10-15 mins. (depending on how fast you peel & cut corn!)
Cook time: 35 mins.
Serves: 4 people
- 4 tbsp butter (0.25 cup) (0.5 stick)
- 1 large cup of onions
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp pepper
- 1.5 tsp chopped basil
- 1.5 tsp chopped thyme
- 6 cups of chicken stock (if you want it fully vegetarian you can use Veg stock!)
- 6 fresh corn on the cob
- Peel the corn & cut the kernels off 5 out of 6 cobs but keep all 5 ‘naked’ cobs.
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot, add onions & cook until soft & translucent
- Add chicken stock, corn kernels, cobs, whole ear of corn plus some salt and pepper
- Bring the pan to a boil & then let it simmer for 10 mins.
- Remove whole corn (let it cool on a board) and contine to cook for a further 10 mins
- Whilst this is cooking cut the kernels off the whole corn and save for garnish.
- Once the 10 mins are up – remove cobs & throw them out.
- Take the pan off the heat and using a hand blender, blend until smooth
- Add herbs (thyme & basil) and the kernels from the last cob & serve!